Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An Album for Beer Drinkin'

Here at the Brouha Blog, our love for beer is matched only by our love for music. Often the two go hand and hand. Some of the best nights combine the two in some way or another, whether it's a concert or just sitting around with friends listening to great music. In the same way that there can be a perfect beer to fit the circumstances, there can be a perfect song or album. We decided every once in a while, we'd try to give our recommendations for the song or album we think goes well with a night of good beer drinking!

The first album we'll talk about in this new series has to be The Doors' Morrison Hotel.

First off, the songs Roadhouse Blues and Land Ho have two of the greatest lyrics about drinking you'll ever hear. See if you can find them. The Doors are easily one of the great rock bands of all times, but it wasn't until recently that I started getting into their later work. I had been missing out. Everyone's familiar with their early stuff (Break on Through, Light My Fire), and with good reason, but some of their later songs are so much stronger. This album is the first to cut back on some of the more experimental elements in their earlier albums. It shows the band delivering straightforward, in-your-face, hard rock. I can't listen to this album without imaging sitting in a dark, dusty bar. Going along with that mood, the album makes me want to drink something dark and heavy, maybe a BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout, which is easily my favorite local beer and one of my favorite beers overall. So get a little rowdy during Peace Frogs and Ship of Fools, sit back and enjoy tunes like Waiting For the Sun and The Spy, and end the night getting down with the jam, Maggie M'Gill. And do it all with a good beer in hand.

1 comment:

Dude said...

Nice post Ben. That is a really great album.
It reminds me of the time you brewed with me. I know I had the Doors blasting on the iPod.