Friday, October 17, 2008

Budweiser American Ale Conspiracy

Ok let's start this out by saying this isn't a beer review. I'm gonna give you some thoughts on this beer...but bottom line...you gotta produce something better than this to get me to give you an actual review.

So yeah, I tried Budweiser's new "American Ale" (the name alone makes me wanna puke). I really like the idea of this beer. Millions of people drink Bud products, so making a slightly darker "craft" beer is not a bad thing. It could easily get people to open up their taste buds to the other more complex beers. Well let's just say if that was their goal...they failed.

The beer pours a decent color (decent compared to Budweiser), the aroma smells a lot like a Budweiser and the taste/mouthfeel...well lets just say I would have rather had a Budweiser...or better yet, a Bud Light. I mean this is easily the worst beer I've had in years...and I just graduated college where Natty Light and Old Style pass for currency!

Each sip of this beer left me in utter shock. I couldn't believe it, each taste made me want to gag more and more. I looked at my roommate and offered him a sip...he just laughed at me and said, "judging by your face...I'll pass."

Like I said earlier, the idea of this beer is great. Let's try to broaden people's horizons and help the entire beer industry and encourage people to celebrate beer of all kinds! Well Bud missed, they were lobbed a 80mph fastball with a 3-2 count...and they whiffed big time.

However, the more I thought about it...the more I realized what Bud's main plan may have been. We all know the craft beer industry is booming, to go along with that...Budweiser just sold to foreign owners. Clearly, the people of Budweiser then thought...well let's make an "American beer" Yeah, let's make a craft beer to show all our drinkers what it will be like if they decide to switch over and drink craft ales. So what they did was create the absolute worst beer ever. As I said, it tastes like a Budweiser...but worse (how is that possible you ask? Just try one). So now, all of those people who have been life long Bud drinkers are trying this beer and thinking...why would I spend more money on these fancy American craft ales when they taste just like my ice-cold Bud...but a bit worse? Then they decide they will just continue to drink Bud and Bud Light and never even think about expanding their drinking horizons ever again.

I don't know if this was Budweiser's exact plan...but it had to be close. I mean seriously, no one could ever brew a beer that bad and actually expect people to like it.



For those of you looking for a REAL beer to transition your way from Bud/Miller/Coors drinker to noble, well-rounded craft beer drinker...I suggest you check out our top five "gateway beers"

No comments: