Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Banana Bread Beer

That's right. Banana Bread Beer. I don't mean banana bread made with beer. I don't mean beer paired with a nice slice of banana bread. I mean beer brewed with banana bread (or at least bananas).


The other night I spotted this at the local beer store and was immediately drawn to it, if for no other reason that it kinda freaked me out. Don't get me wrong, I love some banana bread, and God knows I love beer, but it's one of those combinations that just didn't sound right to me. I love both pizza and ice cream, but that doesn't mean I want to combine the two any time soon.

Anyway, I picked up a bottle and gave it a shot. It's brewed in England by Charles Wells Brewery (we tried their Bombardier ale during our recent London trip, and I remember it to be pretty tasty). This one weighed in at 5.2% abv and is brewed using organic bananas. It poured a deep copper color with very little head. There wasn't a strong banana flavor (in taste or smell) at first. It was pretty balanced, but was a little too carbonated. I decided to let it sit for a second, and I soon began to smell banana bread in the air. The smell was right on. I tasted it again and was really impressed. Honestly, I expected a gimmicky beer that was fun to try, but that I would likely never have again. I also didn't expect to get much of a banana bread flavor (or at least not a good one). I was definitely wrong. It wasn't overly sweet, but the banana bread flavor was definitely there. I'm not sure what type of food would be good with this one, but for some reason I kept thinking it would be good to have with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Don't ask. There was all kinds of weird stuff going on in the kitchen that night.

Tasting Tip: It's been my experience that beer can sometimes be too cold. When I first started drinking beer, this idea would have completely grossed me out. After all, with every other beverage (except maybe red wine) the general rule is "the colder the better." However, sometimes beer can be so cold that any flavors or aromas are overwhelmed. It may be more refreshing, but you won't get the full flavor. I should point out though, that there's a limit to this theory. Don't let your beer sit out for hours. Don't go popping it in the microwave. But if the beer is really cold and you're not getting anything good from it, just give it a second. A good beer will make it's way out if given the opportunity. This one sure did.

Banana Bread Beer. What will they think of next?

No comments: