Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Let's go to work

Tonight marks the beginning of a significant step towards laying the foundation of the Brouha House. Yup, tonight I will start my employment at O'Shea's Family of Pubs right here in weird and wonderful Louisville. I figured if we want to be successful in the bar business, experience and knowledge are going to be in great need...so why not try to gain that knowledge from the best?

For those of you unfamiliar with O'Shea's family of pubs. Here is a little background. The "family" consit of three members, Flanigan's, Brendan's and O'Shea's. Each of them are Irish Pubs and they are wonderful pubs at that. O'Shea's is the biggest and best of their pubs and is a regular staple in the city's social scene. O'Shea's does a great job of helping put on festivals, events and other things that take place in and around their bar. However, perhaps the best thing about O'Shea's (besides their outstanding beer selection) is that each Monday they raise money for a different cause. They call Mondays "fund days" and when they have one, 100% of their profits from that day go to a different charitable cause. It is truly great to see a bar as big and as good as their's give back to the community in such a big way.

Anyway, as you can see when it comes to the Louisville bar scene...the O'Shea's folks know what they're doing. Luckily, thanks to Jim (good friends with the owner) I had a bit on an in with them. I got into contact with them a couple weeks ago and met with them last week to discuss a possible "intership" in hopes of gaining some very valuable experience. They were really great about the whole situation and have set up about a 10-15 week crash course in bar management for me!

Starting tonight...I will work every Tuesday, Wednesday...and most Friday's at one of their pubs. I'll spend a week at Brendan's and then a week at O'Shea's or Flannigan's and for each two week period I'll be trained at one position. For instance, tonight I'll start as a host and bus boy...I'll work this week and next week at that position before moving up the totem poll a bit. Eventually, I'll shadow the manager and sit in on everything they do...from payroll to shift meetings...I'll be there for it all. It will be a lot of work, especially on top of my 9-5 job, but the opportunity is great! I really can't express enough thanks to O'Shea's pubs for helping me and the Brouha House out in such a great way.

The 10-15 weeks are sure to be a rollercoaster of madness...but they are sure to help us here at the Brouha House take a gigantic step toward our goal of sharing our beer with the rest of the world!

No comments: